Uncovering a "New" Clinical Niche for the Geriatrician: Page 2 of 2
By providing longitudinal outpatient care and following patients through care transitions, geriatricians could “lead” interdisciplinary teams to deliver concierge-like service to those patients most in need of coordinated care. To provide this level of service will require substantial changes to the relative value units (a measure of value used by Medicare reimbursement formulas for physician services), payments for care coordination (MD and non-MD services), and cost-sharing incentives. Defining a clinical niche for the geriatrician may help to stem the declining interest in the subspecialty of geriatric medicine.10 Such a model would also provide the level of customer satisfaction and personal accountability that elderly patients fondly remember and continue to expect.
1. Stefanacci RG. Care coordination today: what, why, who, where, and how? Annals of Long-Term Care. 2013;21(3):38-42.
2. Hansen LO, Young RS, Hinami K, Leung A, Williams MV. Interventions to reduce 30-day rehospitalization: a systematic review. Ann Intern Med. 2011;155(8):520-528.
3. Prvu Bettger J, Alexander KP, Dolor RJ, et al. Transitional care after hospitalization for acute stroke or myocardial infarction. Ann Intern Med. 2012;157(6):407-416.
4. Hesselink G, Shoonhoven L, Barach P, et al. Improving patient handovers from hospital to primary care: a systematic review. Ann Intern Med. 2012;157(6):417-428.
5. Golden AG, Tewary S, Dang S, Roos BA. Care management’s challenges and opportunities to reduce the rapid rehospitalization of frail community-dwelling older adults. Gerontologist. 2010;50(4):451-458.
6. Jackson GL, Powers BJ, Chatterjee R, et al. The patient-centered medical home: a systematic review. Ann Intern Med. 2013;158(3):169-178.
7. Correia EW. Accountable care organizations: the proposed regulations and the prospects for success. Am J Manag Care. 2011;17(8):560-568.
8. Peikes D, Zutshi A, Genevro JL, Parchman ML, Meyers DS. Early evaluations of the medical home: Building on apromising start. Am J Manag Care. 2012;18(2):105-116.
9. Sorbero ME, Saul MI, Liu H, Resnick NM. Are geriatricians more efficient than other physicians at managing inpatient care for elderly patients? J Am Geriatr Soc. 2012;60(5):869-876.
10. Golden AG, Silverman MA, Mintzer MJ. Is geriatric medicine terminally ill? Ann Intern Med. 2012;156(9):654-656.
Disclosures: The authors report no relevant financial relationships.
Address correspondence to: Adam Golden, MD, MBA, ACOS, Geriatrics & Extended Care, Orlando VA Medical Center, UCF College of Medicine, 5201 Raymond Street, CLC-136, Orlando, FL 32803; firstname.lastname@example.org